Windmill Ranch Preserve

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Flat tires & Porcupines

Here are two subjects that I thought I'd never talk about at the same time. I mean how often do you get a flat tire on your tractor and see a dog with porcupine quills in her nose? I'm guessin' not many--but once again, that's my new life in west Texas.
Here's the deal. I went to the vet's office to visit one of our badly injured dogs. While waiting, an older couple came in with a dog peppered w/ quills. The spindly stickers looked like fake teeth protruding from this dog's snout.
The look in this dog's eyes was a combination of severe pain and extreme embarrassment. In fact, I coulda sworn that I spotted an old basset hound smirk at the sight of this porcupine prickled pooch.
By the way, the last time I saw her--the good vet was readying a knock-out shot to perform quill removal.
Now believe it or not, this adventure happened before noon. I thought at the time, "okay--that's pretty unusual."
But now, it's pushing 4:30 and I should be mowing. I have lots of grass that needs cuttin. But not today... the ol' John Deere's got a flat on the front right. I think it's the same tire that went flat last month.
The rub is, I didn't notice til' I'd already mowed for about 1/4 mile. To add salt to the wound, it's too late to take off the tire, run to town and get the tire fixed.
So, the ever reliable Max is here with a big jack, a lil' sangria and his "lookers" so the sun doesn't sting his eye.
So, it looks like we're gonna take off the tire and go huntin'. Why not, the grass can wait, the porcupined dog is probably okay and it's Wednesday.. as good a day as any to kick back and enjoy wild, west Texas.
Bill Robertson, Ranch Mgr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home