Windmill Ranch Preserve

Monday, September 11, 2006

Local Heroes

Do you remember the movie "Local Heroes"? Peter Reigert & Burt Lancaster starred in it. He (Reigert) was a petroleum engineer sent by a Houston company to scout a job in Scotland. Great stuff.
Well, I have my own batch of local heroes.. they're not engineers. In fact, they're retired school teachers, single-mothers and retired wood-workers, but they desevere an 'atta-boy.'
First and foremost, I gotta give kudo's to Max. You've heard about him if you've kept up with my blogs. He knows nothing about plumbing (or says he knows nothing), but really he knows everything. Plus, he has every tool under the sun and he's the most generous person I've ever met.
Then, there's Tina. I've mentioned here before too. She started as our ranch 'housekeeper'. She quickly graduated to a 'dust control engineer. Now, she's a 'jackie of all trades.' Have you ever known or worked w/ someone who just has instinct. They know what you need. They know how to get it.. they know they'll get reimbursed???? That's Tina. You can't have her, unless you're a Fortune 500 company exec who's willing to make her life what she deserves.
Then there's the retired school teachers, Terry & Linda Heustis. I don't know what to say about these two--except they're amazing. First of all, Terry (who's a retired shop/math teacher) can make anything. Then, there's his wife Linda, who is absolutely the most patient & accomadating person I've ever met. Terry made us these incredible sinks for our tent bathrooms. I'm sure they'll end up in New York, with proper marketing.
Now, we're working on our pool deck. Everyday, Terry (and Linda) come out here after he drives his moring bus route. Then, he welds, nails, measures.. measures again.. teaches... laughs.. says "that's good enough" and we move on. INCREDIBLE!
My point is.. these are local heroes. Every city/town has them. The trick is finding them, highlighting them..
I sure wish you'd come and visit. Who knows? You might meet Max (and his lovely wife Gail) while he's 'pondering or ciphering." You might get to know Tina as she cleans like "Mr. Clean" is a sissy or Terry and Linda who patiently, but quickly build the most unique items I've ever seen.
Local heroes sure make live a lot easier.
Bill Robertson, Ranch Mgr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home