Windmill Ranch Preserve

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

This isn't a bad place to live

I just got back from a whirlwind trip to DisneyWorld. My son, Joe who lives in Tennessee, and I flew to Orlando, had a ton of fun and returned w/in 48-hours.
Imagine a 12-yr-old loose in the Magic Kingdom and imagine a dad shuffling along at a break neck pace--that was our weekend. I bet we walked 50-miles in one day and had the times of our lives. In fact, Joe turned to me over lunch (maybe it was supper) at Epcot (maybe it was MGM Studios) and said to me, "dad, this is one of the best days of my life." Wow.. it really doesn't get better than that.
Anyway, I had a few weird (usually freak me out) experiences. We got to Orlando and it was.. crowded. I live on a ranch now, eight miles west of tiny Snyder. My idea of crowded is two people at the post office or waiting for Wally at the hardware store.
But all of a sudden, we became swamped with strollers and northerners from.. well the north. The crowd was amazing!!! I mean incredible.
Don't misunderstand. I've lived in New Orleans. I've visited big.. really big cities. But, I haven't really been anywhere since I moved to the 'ranch' in west Texas. It was weird.
All of a sudden, I was surrounded by people... giant crowds. Please don't misunderstand--I wasn't angry. I wasn't impatient. I wasn't grumbly. I wasn't anything, but kinda in awe.
It was like.. what's this? Who are these people paying a fortune to take a baby to DisneyWorld? Why are these people with very thick accents angry? Why are all the babies crying at precisely 3:30pm? Napping.. maybe?
Joe and I had the time of our lives. It couldn't have been better.. really. We rode all the rides, I almost threw up many, many times. Joe was such a big boy. He figured out the system and we scooted through lines.
Unfortunately, the quick trip came to an abrupt end. Joe returned to his house in Tennessee and I returned to the Windmill Ranch.
As I sat on the porch at the ranch, looking at the 'fire in the sky sunset' this afternoon, I realized.. Orlando (or any other big city) is a real nice place to visit, it's a great place to take the children, and a wonderful place for family bonding... but my simple life in west Texas is pretty amazing too.
I sat there as a woodpecker tapped on the telephone pole. Then, the sun began to set. Then, a slight breeze dashed in from the southwest.. then.. well, does it really matter.
The point is, I realized: this place is a place to sit back, realize 'who needs the traffic, the crowds, the hustle/bustle'?
So, if you're swamped, if you're bombarded by deadlines, needs, timetables, crowds, traffic, a hectic lifestyle.. come and visit us at WRP.
It's like Joe and I talked about.. those big cities sure are fun to visit.. but nothing compares to the laid back lifestyle of the BIG COUNTRY.
I promise, you'll forget your mortgage, car payment, insurance and your next appointment.. at least for a few days.
Bill Robertson
WRP, Ranch Manager

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home