Windmill Ranch Preserve

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Bobcat

I just got back from taking my daily, early morning walk. This time, I got as close as I'll probably ever get to one of the ranch bobcats.

I've seen them before, but usually from my truck window. They're harmless, but fascinating to see in their natural habitat.

This morning, I was walking south along our main road and spotted a dark clump in the middle. Lots of times shadows play tricks and what looks like something interesting is nothing more than a pothole or log in the road.

But this time, the shadow didn't change as I got closer. In fact, it got more detailed. At first, I thought; 'how'd that big stick with a head get on main street?" Then, I thought, "how come that big stick's head just turned to the right"? Then, I thought, "sticks don't move!" Then, the stick stood up and stared at me.

By this time, I'm about 75-yard away from the cat. He (or she) didn't move. I didn't move. Lola (the yellow lab) didn't have a clue. She was chasing rabbits in the pasture. So, I slowly (very slowly) began walking toward the cat. Granted, I'm saying to myself; "wild animal, I only have a coffee mug to defend myself and I haven't run since the 1980s."

But after a few steps, the bobcat sort of 'ambled' off, out of the road & out of sight. I thought that was great fun to see, but the end of it. Until.... Lola caught the cat's scent. When she did, she dashed straight into the high grass. It didn't take long for the cat to make a run for it. The bobcat began hopping and jumping over grass, logs, anything it's path. Lola did the same. For about 15 seconds, I felt like Marlin Perkins in "Wild Kingdom." Remember that show? "I'll stay safely in the distance as Jim (Lola) gives chase to the wild animal."

Anyway, Lola and I are both safe @ the pavilion. She's dozing on the porch. I'm sipping coffee and writing this blog.
Come on out. See what you can see in its natural habitat.

Bill Robertson
Mgr., Windmill Ranch Preserve
325.573.1200

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home