Windmill Ranch Preserve

Saturday, November 18, 2006

The Loudest Bird

The loudest bird is invading west Texas. I hear long, long, long before I see 'em. In fact just minutes ago, I pulled up to the pavilion, got out of my truck and heard this loud, shrill.

I looked to the source of the sound and thought; 'they must be just over that hill.' I mean they sounded within walking distance. So, I got back into the truck and headed toward the southwest pasture. I parked, looked, squinted and listened. I could still hear 'em--but couldn't see 'em. By this time, they were so loud--they had to be hiding in the grain within yards of my truck.

As it turns out, they weren't in the field at all. I looked up, more up, more up and finally straight up and there they were... flocks and flocks and flocks of Sandhill Cranes.

This is the time of year (now through January) that they migrate to wherever they migrate. They're tremendous and very loud. They're so big that when they take off they apparently go straight up. They kind of circle to gain altitude. Slowly, but surely they spread giant wings, shrill back and forth and climb to at least Cessna heighth.

They're at sight to see. Come visit and see for yourself.
Bill Robertson
Mgr., Windmill Ranch Preserve
Snyder, TX.
325. 573.1200

1 Comments:

  • At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I saw the plans you have for an Internet Cafe and conference center on the courthouse square in Snyder in this morning's San Antonio Express News. I just wanted to say hello and wish you good luck.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home