Windmill Ranch Preserve

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Maintenance Man & Innkeeper

As of this afternoon, I've been on the job nine months and 10-days. I think that's roughly 280-days. My math's bad b/c some months like February have only 28-days, while others have 31-days. So, I'm roundin' it off at 280. The precise number isn't important.
What's important is.. I used to think my old job in TV offered variety, which of course is the spice of life. Now, I'm finding this job is a smorgasboard compared to blue plate special.
You see, I started this job with specific tasks.. many specific tasks. Each job was new to me. I'd finish one task and then start another, and another and another. Gradually, WRP, as I envisioned it, began to take shape. That's a good thing.
Then, the big jobs were done. So, Max (who knows nothing about plumbing) and I began new jobs. Now as he and I were talking this afternoon over formica--we realized we have no less than 10-BIG JOBS on our plate. Any one of them could lead our 'priority list.'
Add to that, the maintenance it takes to maintain the old, BIG JOBS. Everyday, I see something that needs attention. Not because it's broken or because it's ruined, it needs attention b/c we're in a rugged place and that comes with unusual wear and tear.
Add to that, we're seeing a lot of customers at the ranch.. THANK GOODNESS. So now, the role of innkeeper is beginning to develop. It as much fun as maintenance man and just as immediately gratifying.
For example this weekend, we had two sets of moms and dads and their children. At one point, I realized the parents were dining under candlelight while the children were making s'mores over a roaring bonfire. I thought.. this is what we wanted. This is just as we talked about WRP, more than a year ago. Then, the next morning--I asked one of the mother's about her stay. She said, "I can't think of anything to complain about."
That felt great.. instant. Kinda like fixin' a path or laying a stone patio or building a pool deck.. instant!!!
Come see us. I bet you'll feel relaxed in an instant. And the good news is, if something's broke---I can hand Max the tools that he needs to fix it--hopefully in an instant.
Bill Robertson
WRP Manager
325.573.1200

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home