Windmill Ranch Preserve

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Back @ the Ranch

Hi everyone! I'm back at the ranch after a whirlwind trip to Tennessee to see my kids, Jack, Joe and Georgia. Jeff, my oldest, is in Europe visiting his dad and going to school in Paris. That's Paris FRANCE.. Not Paris, Texas.

Anyway, it's funny, weird, sad and pathetic what you take for granted.
Over the summer, Jack and Joe came to visit and worked like Turks. I'm not exactly sure what that means, but my mother uses that expression all the time. It sounds tough and the boys are tough.

I mean, I unintentionally worked 'em hard. And we got so much done. The vineyard is theirs. The coyote fence around the pool is theirs. The new flys on Tent #2&3 are theirs. Much of the landscape is theirs. It's incredible to realize what you have until you don't have it.

I bet by now you're saying, "why don't you have it." Well, if you don't know the story. I'm divorced. This is my first year without my children.

They came to visit and I worked them like TURKS. Again, I don't know what that means, but it sounds good.
Anyway, they're not here and I miss them. I don't miss them because they worked like TURKS, who knows what that means. I miss them because I miss them.


I just talked to Jack who's at a football game. Then, I talked to their mother, who's at Joe's game. I wish I were there.


I'm not, but I can still brag on my boys. They're tall, strong, beautiful, nice, kind, sweet, hard-working and more. This place, the ranch, wouldn't look like it does now without their help. I wish I had them everday.
This summer, we played, we worked, we shot, we swam, we rode, we did everything. It's odd, but you never know when something could be for the last time.


I remember Jack and Joe digging the holes for the vineyard. It looks FANTASTIC now. But then, it was a bunch of sticks.
I remember them putting up the coyote fence around the pool and not saying 'way to go fellas!' Geez, if i'd only stopped to say thanks.


I miss my boys and my daughter. They're super kids. I don't think I told them. I'm not sure it helps to tell you, but it can't hurt.


The bottom line is, you never know when it's going to be the last time-the last time to say hello, thank you, I love you, good job, wake-up, go to bed, kiss good night, can I help with homework, you look nice, what were you thinking, no you can't do that, yes I'll pick you up, I'm sorry but no, who's your girlfriend, want a ride to school, how 'bout lunch, etc.


The thing around the ranch is, there's plenty of time and lots of space to think about things. There's plenty of room to take stock in what's important. There's plenty of solitude to change the future.
Bill Robertson
Mgr., Windmill Ranch preserve
325.573.1200

1 Comments:

  • At 7:44 AM, Blogger "bJ" Johnson said…

    Bill, just to tell you what a blessing your blogs are to read...i too was divorced once and know the pain associated with separation from my kids...thank you for sharing the thoughts from your heart...people today are moving at such a rapid pace that many never take the time to show down and thank GOD for the "SMALL" blessings...thank you for your reminders........."bJ" Johnson/Conroe

     

Post a Comment

<< Home