Windmill Ranch Preserve

Friday, September 28, 2007

Good Thing I Like Hats

It's a good thing that I like hats b/c I'm wearing a lot of 'em these days. You know the old expression, "So in So wears a lot hats." I guess it means they can do or must do a lot of different chores.
Well if there's one thing I've learned on the ranch, it's this: I better know how to do something. Granted, some have told me (recently) my work's not perfect or even half-a*%, but I still gotta do it.
So far, I've been a plumber, an electrician, a carpenter, a gardner, a bricklayer, rock layer, flower planter, pool boy, vineyard digger, horse feeder, cook, bartender, painter, hunt guide, host, waiter, dishwasher, DJ, gravel mover, mower, fountain unplugger, designer, light bulb replacer, flag hanger, sign maker, and more.
My latest feat is flower arranger. Up until now, someone's always been out here to handle the various flowers we place on tables, in guests' rooms and just around the place. But tonight, I got my first lesson in flower arranging and it's much harder than it looks.
For example, how in the world are you supposed to know what to cut off and how much to cut off so the flower sits in the vase like it's supposed to? Also, what goes with what? Can you mix sunflowers with lavender? Apparently, not! What about combining grasses with sunflowers? Maybe.
My point is; there are lots of jobs out here I'd rather hire out to someone better equipped or definitely more creative, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
So if you see a flower arrangement and think, 'oh, that's not perfect or even half-a*%--blame it on me. I'm a much better plumber than I am a flower arranger.
Bill Robertson
Mgr., Windmill Ranch Preserve
325.573.1200

1 Comments:

  • At 7:47 AM, Blogger Judy said…

    Bill - I've been watching your posts and while I have enjoyed reading all of them, I must admit I can most closely identify with this one! How DOES one know what flowers like each other and are compatible? Beats me! - Judy R

     

Post a Comment

<< Home