Windmill Ranch Preserve

Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Gospel & Dove Season

I wonder if there's a way to combine The Gospel & Dove season? I ask because here it Sunday morning. I'm reading some scripture @ a picnic table between shotgun blasts and falling BBs.
Seriously! I was reading scripture about truth, understanding, peace, faith, foregiveness amidst, BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!
I know I'm getting fulfilled & whoever's blasting away is apparently having a terrific hunt. If nothing else, they're getting to pull the trigger a lot, a whole lot. And, that's half the fun of hunting---just busting a bunch of caps.
Meantime, all my dogs are running for cover. These are the same dogs that bark like a house on fire when vehicles pull into the ranch. But let them hear a gun or in Lola's case see a gun and they run away like the Knights did in "Monty Python & the Holy Grail."
I guess what inspired me to write this blog is, the incredible differences out here. I mean; here I sat, as peaceful as I could possibly imagine and then BLAM! I think the thing that made me smile was, the sound of shotguns didn't make me flinch @ all, even at my most sedentary.
Maybe that's my point, I can/you can (if you give yourself enough time) get completely lost out here. Other stuff can begin to happen around you, but not affect your 'me time.'
I wonder if a fella could read and shoot @ the same time. In my case, I'm such a bad shot it wouldn't hurt.
The Gospel & Dove season. I bet it'd word. The prayer would probably go something like, "Dear Lord; if it's your will let us get off lots of shots without hitting the other guy. Amen."
Bill Robertson
Mgr., Windmill Ranch Preserve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home