Windmill Ranch Preserve

Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Eatin' Kvetons

I just met the most remarkable family!
We've hosted family reuions before, all good. But "The Eatin' Kvetons" broke the mold. I genuinely don't know where to start. First of all, they were the most diversified group I've ever hosted. Secondly and most importantly, they are definitely the most loving group I've ever had the priviledge to meet.
Dad is John. Mom is Jean. He's Czech. She's German. They live in Abernathy. They're tremendously extended family ranges from Lubbock to Austin to Dallas to Weatherford to Hobbs, NM.
Seriously, I don't know where to start. This is a case of meeting people who are so much bigger and better than myself.
John's a cotton farmer. Jean's the mom who runs the show. John and Jean put 22 kids, both biological and foster, through college. Now, those kids are doctors, nurses, cotton experts, deep sea divers, big wigs with McDonalds, and more.
Really, there's not enough room in cyberspace to detail the many epiphanies I had this weekend, but let me try.
Mr. John and Ms. Jean already had a big family on the farm. They began taking in kids probably back in the 70s. I think Barbara was the first. She makes GREAT fudge. Then came many, many others.
There's May, who escaped from Vietnam. And then May's mother. There's Tahn, who's May's son. There's Gary who dated a daughter, but when that failed he still belongs to the family.
There's Danny who's married to Julia (great cook). There's Ann and Scott (scott says she's his angel). There's Sandra (who's dived all over the world). There's also Hon do who served as a Lt. in the South Vietnamese army and now directs McDonalds restaurants from Snyder to Lubbock and beyond. Then there are all the kids, who offered so many times to help clean, do the dishes, anything.
The names are too many and almost don't matter when you consider how they are. I say before I've had family reunions because I want to put things into perspective.
At other times, groups had fun and enjoyed themselves. But in this case, the tremendous amount of love was overwhelming. They were grown children jumping into each others arms. Laughing around a bonfire @ 7am. Grown children walking around in their robes before sunrise. Women saying, "I didn't bring air freshner and I'm sharing a tent with three men."
The absolute best was Mr. John and Mrs. Jean. Mr John and I had a wonderful talk about his kids while washing dishes. And Ms. Jean hugged me this morning and told me that I was an honorary "Eatin' Kveton". I genuinely am so honored.
Make no mistake. I have a great family. But, it's a wonderful pleasure to be accepted by such a great group of people.
this has been a great weekend. Thank you Kveton family. I wish I had more time and space. I'll remember all of you for a long, long, time. You are wonderful. I think I got more out of this weekend than you did and I don't just mean the wonderful food.
You've heard that the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree. Suffice it say, Mr. John and Ms. Jean are wonderful oaks and their many kids are all part of the same wonderfully, peaceful forest.
This has been the type of weekend that makes me wonder, what would the Kvetons do. If you meet any of them, you'll say the same thing.
Thank you.
Bill Robertson
Mgr., Windmill Ranch Preserve
325.573.1200

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home